Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Random Thoughts

I really wish the retailers would stop with the back to school ads. I know it's time to get ready, but it's just so irritating to be reminded of it. I am looking forward to this year though. I am glad to not be teaching math. It's not that I hate it or anything, just I'd rather teach reading or English or other subjects.
I really think we've made a mistake starting school this early. Used to be school would start right after Labor Day and end the first week of June. I think both teachers and kids need that break to gear up for what's to come. I know that some people think it's ridiculous for teachers to get that kind of time off...but these are the same people who wouldn't do my job for a million dollars. Being constantly patient, always kind no matter how you're treated, and giving 110% of yourself and your time every day is exhausting. For the kids trying to manage their lives, develop social skills, learn how to be an adult, gain wisdom and responsibility, and learn all the curriculum is probably equally difficult... I also think school should start later in the day and every single research study bears this out, yet here were are continuing to do the same thing for the sake of parents work schedules and getting the kids done early enough that they can have after school jobs...Ok enough grouching. I just wish education was really for the kids and not for the sake of adults and appearances

3 comments:

ViolentIndifference said...

So why are teachers singled out for the "you don't work a full year" abuse? What about gardeners? Snow removal? Pool boys? ;-) Ski instructors? People just expect that they will have off-season jobs. But teachers are painted as leading a king's life for having summers "off".

Y'know. They are PAID so much...

Margi said...

Teachers deserve any and every break they get. You know, I've never heard someone complain about teachers getting the time off though. I'm sure you have, but more than anything, if someone says that comment they quickly add a remark about how hard it is to be a teacher.
I also recall and email you sent me about how much emphasis is placed on multiple choice tests. I couldn't agree more. I feel that education, while valuable in many ways, is very inept at preparing you for life outside of school. There are so many unnecessaries and inefficiencies. I guess that's the way it goes. on the flip side, it's sad that teachers are now left with the job of parenting on top of teaching.

Carly said...

If school started later, a lot of parents would save money on daycare and after-school programs. Plus, students would be healthier because school would coincide with their natural sleep rhythms. Such an easy solution and yet...